Sunday, February 19, 2012

Transcript for February 19, 2012 - John Vorhaus Talking Comedy

Thanks so much to John Vorhaus (Twitter handle: @truefactbarfact) for chatting with us tonight. He was such a great guest on Script Chat and he was generous enough to join us to talk TV.

There are some GREAT tidbits in this chat. Enjoy.

And thanks to @zacsanford2 and @grayjones for co-moderating the chat tonight.

Talking comedy w/
@TrueFactBarFact.
2012-02-20 2:26 am Jamie_LD Oh yeah, it's that time again. RT @anniewood: ready to get my #
tvwriterchat #scriptchat on! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:27 am TrueFactBarFact Hello Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea.n #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:27 am TrueFactBarFact John Vorhaus is brought to you today by The Little Book of SITCOM :)
http://t.co/t6oFcV9Z #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:27 am GrayJones Gray Jones from http://t.co/m8FGs8bZ partner of Script Magazine
here… ready for #tvwriterchat w/ John Vorhaus, author of Comic
Toolbox.
2012-02-20 2:28 am GrayJones Welcome to @truefactbarfact! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:28 am GrayJones Reminder John Vorhaus @TrueFactBarFact had a great podcast
interview recently: http://t.co/Wjpr0gTR #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:28 am GrayJones My family is grateful I read Comic Toolbox... but wants me to read it
again and get it right. ;-) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:28 am SarahAlexis4 Hi everybody! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:29 am TrueFactBarFact lol. grateful why? Because you're off tragedy?nn #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:30 am GrayJones .@TeelaJBrown had question: My latest pilot is breaking out as 4
acts, no teaser. Think I can get away w/ it? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:30 am zacsanford2 'ello everyone. Can't wait to hear the wise words of @truefactbarfact
tonight! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:30 am Jamie_LD Great book RT @TrueFactBarFact: John Vorhaus is brought to you
today by The Little Book of SITCOM :) http://t.co/hdhxE6ei #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:30 am GrayJones Just that I've started to be funnier. They want more! ;-) RT
@TrueFactBarFact: lol. grateful why? Because youre off tragedy? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:30 am TrueFactBarFact Teela: hourlong? No problem. Make your own rules.nn #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:31 am TrueFactBarFact Thanks Jamie. People are really liking it. Best part: no recycled
content from the comic toolbox. all fresh meat.n #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:31 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact make your own rules. i love you already. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:32 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Definitely all fresh. I have both books and highly
recommend them. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:32 am TrueFactBarFact Pardon all typos. My dog is in my lap, and he has a (small, dog-size)
mind of his own when it comes to what I type. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:32 am OfficeHooky Hey everyone! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:32 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Q: my big problem is coming up with the "gross
exaggeration" Any Suggestions? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am GrayJones John-- re: make own rules -- do you think writing spec TV eps first is
best, or go straight to pilots? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am Jamie_LD If everyone will put a Q in their tweets if you are asking John a
question, it will help him pick them out. Thanks. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am TrueFactBarFact @anniewood, rules are made by the rule makers for their own benefit.
I try not to follow rules like that. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am OfficeHooky I was there for John while back at #scriptchat and can't for tonight #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: do you mean gross as in disgusting or as in large? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:33 am thewasif #tvwriterchat Taking a break from @GrayJones interview of
@truefactbarfact to join the chat! Howdy peeps!
2012-02-20 2:34 am TrueFactBarFact Gray: very much in favor of pilots. When you're done, you have some
intellectual property, whcih you don't with specs.n #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:34 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Both? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:34 am GrayJones Q: I've heard some show runners/agents still ask for spec eps. Will it
hurt you to have only pilots? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:35 am TrueFactBarFact same answer: break your taboos. Disregard the voice saying "too
much" or "too disgusting" or "too anything." GO TOO FAR! #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:35 am TrueFactBarFact Gray, you may need both, but open with the pilot. It shows you have
original thought. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:35 am JonFour Stepping into #tvwriterchat. For the first time in a little while.
2012-02-20 2:36 am ElectricianPlus @JonFour Welcome back!!! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:36 am GrayJones @TrueFactBarFact thanks! Finding pilots are so much more exciting
to write. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:36 am TrueFactBarFact Here's news: I just got a nibble from Sweden, of all places, on my
web-based sitcom. Funny ol' world. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am zacsanford2 @truefactbarfact Q: With the dwindling size of the writers room, what
do you feel is the best way to get that 1st staff gig? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am TrueFactBarFact And as you know, I just returned from Bulgaria, where I
recruited/trained writers for their version of Married w/Children. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: how did you get your first TV writing gig? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am OfficeHooky @TrueFactBarFact Good to know all fresh, original material in
SITCOM. Am sitting here with my copy of Comic Toolbox. Sign it? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Q: How do you go about creating characters that
will provide plenty of conflict/comedy to sustain a series? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:37 am TrueFactBarFact Wow, Zac, big question. Answer A) keep writing great new scripts, B)
keep banging your head against the phone. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:38 am JonFour @ElectricianPlus Thanks! Glad to be back :). #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:38 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: wrote a bunch of scripts and worked the phones relentlessly. #
2012-02-20 2:38 am Jamie_LD @JonFour Hi #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:38 am thewasif @TrueFactBarFact Haven't read ur books YET, but heard there r only
10 joke types 4 tv (rule of 3s, non sequitur, etc.) agree?n #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:38 am TrueFactBarFact Sarah: think lines of conflict. Invent a character, then ask "who can
give this character the worst possible time?" #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:39 am Jamie_LD RT @TrueFactBarFact: Annie: wrote a bunch of scripts and worked
the phones relentlessly. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:39 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact I love this answer. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:39 am TrueFactBarFact thewasif: You can probably find a home for any joke within ten
categories. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:40 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: so, you didn't have rep before you got your first
gig? when/how did you get your first manager/agent? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:40 am ElectricianPlus Carry your characters around with you during the day. Imagine how
they deal with the things that happen to you. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:40 am TrueFactBarFact thewasif: "But if you try to pigeonhole everything, all you'll end up with
is a bunch of squished pigeons." #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:41 am TrueFactBarFact Anniewood: had an agent, but still had to do all the leg work myself.
As it was so it is and ever shall be, I'm afraid. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:41 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact save the pigeons! no, not really. they're pretty
annoying. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am zacsanford2 Awesome. RT @TrueFactBarFact "But if you try to pigeonhole
everything, all you'll end up with is a bunch of squished pigeons." #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Q: Any best advice for those wanting to write a
spec pilot? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am TrueFactBarFact Anniewood: All the agent gave me was a patina of credibility. It got
people to accept my calls. I still had to sell myself #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact ah, yes, same in the world of acting. :/ #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am OfficeHooky @TrueFactBarFact Q.) Can you elaborate on intellectual property you
are 'left with' for an original pilot opposed to spec? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am GrayJones Joh: BTW, in Comic Toolbox, loved your relentless idea creation.
Really came through that quantity begets quality. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am Jamie_LD @anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Agent TAKE calls, writers MAKE
calls. lol #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:42 am thewasif RT @ElectricianPlus: Carry your characters around with you during
the day. Imagine how they deal with the things that happen to you. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:43 am TrueFactBarFact Anybody catch my recent stuntword: Twittourette's -- when you tweet
what you ought not tweet. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:43 am Jamie_LD Been there RT @TrueFactBarFact: Anybody catch my recent
stuntword: Twittourette's -- when you tweet what you ought not tweet.
#tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:43 am TrueFactBarFact Gray: Thx. My motto has always been "throw it out the window and
see if it lands." Funny, almost everything does. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:44 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: do you have a writing routine? when & how
many hours per day? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:44 am TrueFactBarFact OfficeHooky: a spec might get you work, but will never earn you a
dime ('cause no one buys those). Originals can earn. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:45 am GCGeek Sorry I'm late. Evening everyone! Also, loving @TrueFactBarFact's
2012 stunt words! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:45 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: paper in bed, walk the dog, answer emails, write till time to
walk the dog again, then write some more. Full days. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:45 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact So if you're trying to get an agent, write the
original spec, and then have other specs to back it up? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:45 am TrueFactBarFact I didn't always love writing, but I love it now, so putting in a day at the
desk is no problem. It's where I want to be. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:46 am thewasif “@TrueFactBarFact: U can find a home 4 any joke within 10 categs. #
tvwriterchat”... Makes sense. Also, who r u calling? EPs? Networks?
Mgrs?
2012-02-20 2:46 am TrueFactBarFact GCGeek: Thanks re: stuntwords. Look for the ebook once I have
1000 #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:46 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact wow. fan freakin' tastic. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:46 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact So when you didn't love writing, what did you do
to keep yourself writing? Other than write. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:46 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: Exactly. No one launches their career off one spec. You need
to write many. Besides, "quantity breeds quality." #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:46 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Q: Any tips for creating strong jokes out of story?
Creating solid set-ups? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:47 am TrueFactBarFact All: even if you don't love writing now, eventually you will. Over time,
fear falls away and all that's left is bliss. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:47 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: when you first started out, how many scripts
had you written before you started making those calls? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:47 am TrueFactBarFact Don't forget: the brain rewards creativity with endorphins. No wonder
we get high when we write, right? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:48 am TrueFactBarFact SarahA: Strong jokes come out of character. Give characters strong
comic perspectives & filter reality through that. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:48 am GCGeek @TrueFactBarFact I like that! Bliss is good. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:48 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact YES! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:48 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: probably 2 or 3. I was naive. I thought 1 would be enough but
wiser people taught me otherwise. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:49 am anniewood RT @TrueFactBarFact: Dont forget: the brain rewards creativity with
endorphins. No wonder we get high when we write, right? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:49 am TrueFactBarFact Thewasif: I'm calling anyone I think I can get to read me. Don't care
who they are. I want my words in front of eyeballs. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:49 am JonFour @TrueFactBarFact Creativity triggers endorphins? How did I not
know that? That's awesome. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:50 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: when i didn't love writing i wrote anyhow. I couldn't not. didn't
love it, yet was heavily addicted. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:50 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact I find that when I have the time, I don't want to
write. When I'm working 70 hours, I crave it. Go figure. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:50 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact i feel like more is better. Q:how many pros did you
have read your first script 4feedback b4 u sent it out? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:50 am TrueFactBarFact JonFour: Of course it does. Otherwise we'd still be living in trees
wondering where our next banana was coming from. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:51 am TrueFactBarFact And now a word from our sponsor. :) http://t.co/t6oFcV9Z #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:51 am TrueFactBarFact annie: more is better, but don't hide your light under a bushel. The
words are worthless if they're not getting read. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:52 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: you need people who can "read without prejudice" give you
great feedback and not "burn" a potential lead. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:52 am thewasif “@TrueFactBarFact: I'm calling anyone I think I can get 2 read me.I
want my words in front of eyeballs. #tvwriterchat”... Awesome. Thx,
John
2012-02-20 2:52 am Jamie_LD If you get LITTLE BOOK OF SITCOM from @TrueFactBarFact for ur
#kindle you can listen to it over and over when you work/drive...#
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:52 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: Man, it's hard to explain in 140 characters. Anyone who wants
more info can email me at jvx@vorza.com #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:53 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: Bar fact I'm afraid. It's not yet available in audio, tho several of
my novels are (narrated by me - so awesome) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:54 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact But it is text to speech enabled, so you can listen
to the monotone man/woman read it. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:54 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact i like your word from the sponsor bit. it worked! :)
#tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:54 am ElectricianPlus Discovered the "endorphins" at 1st open mic night. It got bigger when
I 1st heard someone do material I wrote. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:55 am TrueFactBarFact Writers are afraid. We're afraid to promote, afraid to get read, afraid to
fail. Gotta get over that. I say FAIL BIG! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:55 am thewasif #tvwriterchat Hey @TrueFactBarFact so how do u bounce from
medium 2 medium, project 2 project? Just write what ur feeling that
day?
2012-02-20 2:55 am TrueFactBarFact annie: thank you. See? We must not be afraid to promote. To be a
writer in the 21st century is to be an entrepreneur. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:55 am Jamie_LD RT @TrueFactBarFact: Writers are afraid.... to promote, ...to get read,
afraid to fail. Gotta get over that. I say FAIL BIG! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie, that is AWESOME. I'll have to try that and see how I sound.
"Urk...be...funny...now..." #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am OfficeHooky Q.) As a primary author of oft-cited books on how to write/be funny,
what were the books that you learned from? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Any advice on the multicam script? I struggle with
the set up/pay off of the jokes. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am TrueFactBarFact thewasif: "Go off in all directions at once. You're bound to arrive
somewhere sometime." More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am GCGeek Just ordered for my 2nd Kindle arriving Friday:) RT
@TrueFactBarFact: And now a word from our sponsor. :)
http://t.co/p7vqvuD1 #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:56 am ElectricianPlus Tip: Make friends with local comedians. Practice writing funny daily.
See your material performed. Watch the reaction. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:57 am TrueFactBarFact Thewasif: I've always been a fan of versatility. Besides, I have a
restless mind. And wait till you see my next novel. More... #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:57 am TrueFactBarFact A coming of age story set in 1969 -- at right angles to everything I've
ever written. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:57 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact i was going to respond to you with a link to my
book but tweetchat said it was too long. :) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:58 am GCGeek @ElectricianPlus That sounds awesome, Steve! I'd love to write
material for some local comics. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:58 am TrueFactBarFact officehooky: Koestler's ACT OF CREATION, plus CONCEPTUAL
BLOCKBUSTING and the CREATIVE WHACK PACK #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:58 am Mindy_Leana RT @TrueFactBarFact: Writers are afraid. We're afraid to promote,
afraid to get read, afraid to fail. Gotta get over that. I say FAIL BIG! #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 2:58 am thewasif “@TrueFactBarFact: Writers are afraid to fail. I say FAIL BIG! #
tvwriterchat”... Channeling ur RFK there. "must fail gr8ly 2 succeed
gr8tly"
2012-02-20 2:59 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: Multicam. Treat multicam as a stage play. The joke must be
seen/heard in order to work. If it's too complicated, change #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:00 am OfficeHooky Fact: Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers and
Serotonin. Sit at desk for several minutes, smile like a goof. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:00 am GrayJones RT @OfficeHooky: Fact: Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain
Killers and Serotonin. Sit at desk for several minutes, smile like a
goof. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:00 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: there's always more than one way to sell a joke. find the
cleanest, clearest, and CHEAPEST #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:01 am TrueFactBarFact Not sure most writers recognize the "apprenticeship" aspect. We must
invest years just mastering our craft. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:01 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact what was it like in the writer's room for married
with children? p.s. i was in acting class w/faustino. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:01 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Thanks. I've been writing single cam, but my
latest project begs to be mulit cam #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:01 am ElectricianPlus @OfficeHooky Then try it w/o pants. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:01 am TrueFactBarFact The good news is we're not responsible for results while we're
learning. This reduces expectation, and thus fear. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:02 am TrueFactBarFact SusieQ are you lurking? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:02 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Q: What lessons have you learned from your
stints working on tv shows in other countries? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:02 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: multicam is much easier. You don't have to call shots. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:02 am OfficeHooky @TrueFactBarFact Koestler? "Darkness at Noon" Arthur Koestler? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:03 am TrueFactBarFact Sarah: many lessons. Mostly learned how to find the funny even if I
didn't know the culture. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:03 am zacsanford2 @TrueFactBarFact Q: How should one decide whether to write their
comedy pilot as a single or multi cam? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:03 am TrueFactBarFact Learned that television is a mirror of culture. No one wants to see
anything as much as they want to see themselves on TV. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am TrueFactBarFact Learned that the Russians are a massive pain in the butt (watch
EXPORTING RAYMOND) for corroboration. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: do you always outline? always? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am TrueFactBarFact Hook: Yes, that Koestler. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact did you see #ExportingRaymond? love it. on HBO
now. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am OfficeHooky Books to read! RT @TrueFactBarFact: Koestlers ACT OF
CREATION, plus CONCEPTUAL BLOCKBUSTING and the
CREATIVE WHACK PACK #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:04 am TrueFactBarFact zac: the material dictates. The more complex and "adult" it is, the
more likely to be single cam. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact oops. last tweet redundant. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am TrueFactBarFact annie: I always outline scripts, never outline novels. I hate outlining
like a cat hates baths, but it's necessary. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact lol I was just going to watch that recently! Think
it's on HBO. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am TrueFactBarFact annie: I'm IN Exporting Raymond (for three seconds in a party scene).
It's very accurate. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am Jamie_LD Interesting RT @TrueFactBarFact: zac: material dictates. The more
complex and "adult" it is, the more likely to be single cam. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:05 am zacsanford2 @TrueFactBarFact Gracias. This development season has seen
more multicams than singles get picked up. Or so it seems. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:06 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact damn it to heckfire. fine. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:06 am SarahAlexis4 @anniewood now it's my tweet that's redundant lol #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:06 am TrueFactBarFact watch it. look for me in the party scene on the trolly car at the end. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:06 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact i shall rewatch #ExportingRaymond and watch
your scene on a loop! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:06 am TrueFactBarFact zac: development season means nothing. trends mean nothing.
markets mean nothing. write from your heart and gut. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:07 am anniewood @SarahAlexis4 we r typin as fast as we can! :) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:07 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact you are very retweetable. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:07 am zacsanford2 RT @TrueFactBarFact development season means nothing. trends
mean nothing. markets mean nothing. write from your heart & gut. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:08 am TrueFactBarFact On my desk right now a romantic comedy called APOSTROPHE
CATASTROPHE. Tagline: "Somethings' Gone Wrong." #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:08 am anniewood RT development season means nothing. trends mean nothing.
markets mean nothing. write from your heart and gut. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:08 am ALakerfan78 RT @OfficeHooky: Fact: Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain
Killers and Serotonin. Sit at desk for several minutes, smile like a
goof. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:08 am OfficeHooky @TrueFactBarFact *smiles, releases endorphins* My respect for
Koestler (and you) just took a sudden, wicked turn #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:08 am TrueFactBarFact Meant to say "what I'm writing now." #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:09 am TrueFactBarFact Best Hollywood advice I ever got. "Keep giving them you until you is
what they want." I'm a poster child for the concept. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:09 am JonFour @TrueFactBarFact @zacsanford2 I don't think about single/multicam
when I write. I leave that to producers. Am I wrong in that? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:10 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact Q: thoughts about writing teams? me&the wasif
are a future team, is it easier to get work as a team? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:10 am Jamie_LD RT @TrueFactBarFact: Best Hollywood advice I ever got. "Keep
giving them you until you is what they want." I'm a poster child. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:10 am TrueFactBarFact Other best advice: "Changing agents is like changing deck chairs on
the Titanic -- yet we live in hope." #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:10 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact seriously, i've never retweeted this much. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:10 am TrueFactBarFact annie, so sweet. I've never been called retweetable before. (That
said, I do aim to pith.) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am zacsanford2 @JonFour Well there is a different format for multicam vs single.
That's the only reason to think about it as you write. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am TVWriterChat @anniewood He's great, isn't he? So glad to have him as our guest.
@TrueFactBarFact #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am TrueFactBarFact annie: writing team is HUGE subject. you don't get to be sole captain
of ship, but you do get more productivity. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am Rainbow892 RT @OfficeHooky: Fact: Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain
Killers and Serotonin. Sit at desk for several minutes, smile like a
goof. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am TrueFactBarFact Tip: try to find a partner who works harder than you -- and be that
partner too #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:11 am thewasif RT @TrueFactBarFact: Best Hollywood advice I ever got. "Keep
giving them you until you is what they want." I'm a poster child for the
concept. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:12 am anniewood @TVWriterChat oh hi, TVWriterChat! yes, thank you. i love u. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:12 am angelacorpus RT @OfficeHooky: Fact: Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain
Killers and Serotonin. Sit at desk for several minutes, smile like a
goof. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:13 am TrueFactBarFact It's not easier or harder to get work with a partner. It's all in the quality
of the work. Less money though. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:13 am Jamie_LD Sorry, Zac. RT @TrueFactBarFact: Tip: try to find a partner who
works harder than you -- and be that partner too #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:14 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact the thing about teams -i write fast, like
crazy-fast.can i be my own solo writer & a "team" or must i choose? #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:14 am GrayJones 15 minutes left! Great chat so far w/ @TrueFactBarFact. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:14 am Jamie_LD Thanks. (@TVWriterChat ) RT @anniewood: @TVWriterChat oh hi,
TVWriterChat! yes, thank you. i love u. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:14 am TrueFactBarFact Tip: have more than one project going at once. When you're burned
out on one, you still have useful brain for the other. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:14 am anniewood @thewasif i'm talking about you right in front of your face! hi wasif. :) #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:15 am zacsanford2 Hate to leave early, but dinner is calling me. Thanks
@TrueFactBarFact for all the great advice. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:15 am GrayJones Q: what are the best places to go for new ideas? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:15 am TrueFactBarFact I find 140 characters so FRUSTRATING. We have so much to talk
about. Wish I could take u all out for milk & cookies. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:15 am zacsanford2 #scriptchat tweetup in LA at #FormosaCafe on Thursday at 8 p.m.
Hope to meet some of you people there. Come and join us! #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:15 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Yes, I find stacking projects helps me be more
productive #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:16 am TrueFactBarFact welcome, zac. Remember: if you're doing something and you can't
stop doing it, KEEP ON DOING IT! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:16 am SarahAlexis4 @zacsanford2 Bye, Zac. Have a good one. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:16 am anniewood @TVWriterChat this is fun! if school was this much fun, i might have
gone. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:16 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact be careful what you wish for! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:16 am thewasif “@zacsanford2: Hate to leave early, but dinner is calling me. #
tvwriterchat”... Hey Zac, is there a mixer on Thurs at Formosa?
2012-02-20 3:17 am TrueFactBarFact Gray: I go to non-fiction for new ideas. Esp. cutting edge mags on
science and technology. Grist for the mill. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am anniewood @SarahAlexis4 same here. i always have at least two. it keeps me
happy and moving forward. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am GCGeek Post pics! RT @zacsanford2: #scriptchat tweetup in LA at
#FormosaCafe on Thur at 8 p.m. Hope to meet some of you people
there. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Q: Is there anything in particular that stands out to
you as a sign of a strong script when reading? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am GrayJones @TrueFactBarFact thanks! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am zacsanford2 @thewasif Yep... Formosa at 8 p.m. until who knows when... Look for
me. I'm the chubby bearded guy. :) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am TrueFactBarFact Annie: any teacher who doesn't entertain is just a waste of space.
How can anyone learn if they're not engaged? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:17 am sdarancette RT @zacsanford2: @thewasif Yep... Formosa at 8 p.m. until who
knows when... Look for me. I'm the chubby bearded guy. :) #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am JasmineMcAtee2 I've been lurking tonight - trying to watch a show airing that I worked
on - but so much good information has been posted! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am TrueFactBarFact sarah: I open the (comedy) script to any page at random and conduct
the following test, looking for 3 things. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am JasmineMcAtee2 @zacsanford2 See you Thursday! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am OfficeHooky Q.) Do you read original material? Or just create? #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am TrueFactBarFact 1) a laugh (or good solid smile) 2) a sense of the story 3) a reason to
turn the page. If I don't get those things... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:18 am anniewood @sdarancette i wanna go but i have a WGA event that night. tweet
me for the next one though. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:19 am TrueFactBarFact I don't read the rest. The script has to rock on every page. It's a tough
test, but reliable. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:20 am TrueFactBarFact Office: I read some fiction in my genre, but mostly, for pleasure, I read
non-fiction. Just my taste. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:20 am GCGeek I need to tattoo this. RT @TrueFactBarFact: The script has to rock on
every page. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:20 am thewasif “@zacsanford2: Formosa at 8. Look for me. I'm the chubby bearded
guy. :) #tvwriterchat” ... I'll b there. & i'm exactly like my twit pic ;)
2012-02-20 3:21 am TrueFactBarFact sarah: what stands out in a great script is evidence that the author
loves the characters. You can't fake that. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:21 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Thanks! That sounds like a great way to assess a
script to see if it's working. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:21 am TrueFactBarFact GCG: Took me a long time to get that. I thought "good enough" was
good enough, but it ain't. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:21 am anniewood @thewasif it's true. he is. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:22 am Jamie_LD RT @TrueFactBarFact: GCG: Took me a long time to get that. I
thought "good enough" was good enough, but it ain't. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:22 am TrueFactBarFact sarah: and leaves you nowhere to hide from the hard truth. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:22 am OfficeHooky Q.) Have to ask: you're working with Bulgarian writers... for Bulgarian
"Married: with Children"?? Because that seems gold. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:23 am TrueFactBarFact Hey community, I wonder if you all know how blessed you are. The
fact that your life allows you to write proves it. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:23 am TrueFactBarFact Office: Bulgarian writers, yes. Wedding Married... humor and stories
with Bulgarian cultural context and jokes. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:24 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact yes. and amen to that. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:24 am TrueFactBarFact Office: and it is gold. I learn so much when I parachute into these
strange and unexpected places. More... #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:24 am TrueFactBarFact my consulting business model: I exchange information for experience
and money. Not a bad gig, not bad at all. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:25 am TrueFactBarFact Thanks to everyone who joined my twitterstream tonight. I shall try to
keep you amused w/stuntwords and truefactbarfact. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:25 am sdarancette @TrueFactBarFact My life doesn't allow for me to write at all, I just
push through by sheer will. #tvwriterchat. And hello to all!
2012-02-20 3:26 am TrueFactBarFact This chat has been a presentation of http://t.co/t6oFcV9Z (folks,
never, ever, ever stop selling. :) ) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:26 am TrueFactBarFact sdarancette: that's money. if you don't have time to write and still find
time to write, you are unstoppable. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:26 am anniewood @TrueFactBarFact true dat. thanks! this was great! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:27 am ElectricianPlus RT @TrueFactBarFact: sdarancette: that's money. if you don't have
time to write and still find time to write, you are unstoppable. #
2012-02-20 3:27 am sdarancette @TrueFactBarFact Thank you, sir. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:27 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact John, thanks so much for joining us tonight. Your
lightning fast typing makes for a GREAT chat.#tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:27 am TrueFactBarFact and seriously, if you have follow-up Qs, my door is always open.
Contact me via http://t.co/SOmGOkEY. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:28 am GrayJones .@TrueFactBarFact Awesome chat! Thanks so much! And my next
click will be to order your book for my Kindle app. ;-) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:28 am TrueFactBarFact Jamie: I type fast because HS shop classes were full of boys but
typing class was full of girls. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:29 am GrayJones RT @TVWriterChat: don't forget to buy @TrueFactBarFact John
Vorhaus's book http://t.co/swteXD1r #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:29 am Jamie_LD @TrueFactBarFact Smart man/boy, both. #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:29 am SarahAlexis4 @TrueFactBarFact Thanks for being our guest and providing some
great insight! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:29 am GCGeek Thank you @Jamie_LD for moderating and thank you
@TrueFactBarFact for taking an hour to share, inspire and amuse. #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:29 am OfficeHooky @TrueFactBarFact Many, many thanks John. Look forward to
reading SITCOM #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:30 am TrueFactBarFact I'm out, peeps. Closing benediction: "This I believe above all other
things, a man shall find goodness if goodness he brings." #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:30 am Jamie_LD Okay peeps, the restaurant is back open, and I'm exhausted. So glad
I could skip out in time to join #tvwriterchat tonight.
2012-02-20 3:30 am GrayJones Reminder again that John Vorhaus @TrueFactBarFact had a great
podcast interview recently: http://t.co/Wjpr0gTR #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:31 am Jamie_LD . @GCGeek Thanks for joining us. We can't have the chat without
you! #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:31 am GCGeek RT @GrayJones: Reminder again that John Vorhaus
@TrueFactBarFact had a great podcast interview recently:
http://t.co/qw6oJXQX #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:31 am GrayJones Thanks to all for joining the chat -- or lurking! ;-) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:32 am badscriptadvice Did I miss an opportunity to ply you with my maudlin RomCom
advice? It's extra maudlin with a side of cloying. #tvwriterchat
#scriptchat
2012-02-20 3:32 am GCGeek @Jamie_LD *blush* thanks :-) #tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:34 am OfficeHooky Gray's excellent John Vorhaus podcast RT @GrayJones: John
Vorhaus (@TrueFactBarFact) podcast interview http://t.co/tAl3Fb2D #
tvwriterchat
2012-02-20 3:36 am TVWriterChat We do this just for you! Thanks for stopping by. RT @GrayJones:
Thanks to all for joining the chat -- or lurking! ;-) #tvwriterchat